To insure that that intent of the founders of the original Venice Foundation* from Venice Hospital sale proceeds are managed responsibly and used only as intended by the founders – to serve the residents of the former hospital service area of Osprey through Venice, Englewood and North Port to Boca Grande.
*now known as Gulf Coast The Foundation of Community aka, Gulf Coast Community Foundation
Venice Foundation History
In 1950, a small group of civic-minded individuals including Dr. Talmadge Thompson, Dr. Douglas Murphy, Dr. Sam Kaplan, and Dr. Jim Blades, established Venice Hospital. Starting with a donation of $10,000 from O.W. Caspersen, a successful fundraising campaign was launched. These visionaries identified the community’s……Read More